Skip to content Accessibility info

Food Truck Insurance

We’ll shop and help you save on your Florida Business insurance.

Food Truck Insurance

Food trucks are a unique type of business. They need all the insurance protection that brick-and-mortar businesses do, plus commercial vehicle insurance because they’re on the road. And food trucks need some of the special coverage that conventional restaurants do too. You can put a food truck policy together like assembling a plate at a buffet, choosing all the elements you need for your particular business practice.

Food Trucks

If you are food truck business owner, you have a lot to manage. Let us help with your insurance needs – whether it’s providing protection for your  food truck or trailer, personal property, or workers we can help.  Starting a new business or replacing your current insurance can be stressful.  Let us assist you in finding the right combination of price and protection for your business.

Types of Food Truck we work with include

  • Mobile Food Trucks or Van
  • Mobile Food Box Trucks
  • Mobile Food Trailers - pull behind a truck.
  • Lunch Trucks
  • BBQ Food Trucks
  • Vending Trucks
  • Ice Cream Trucks
  • Fruit Stands (and more!)
  • Deli’s
  • Pizzerias
  • Bakeries
  • Donut Shops

Commercial Auto Insurance for Your Vehicle

Any vehicle you operate for business purposes, such as a food truck or van, must be covered by commercial auto coverage. In Florida, that means you must have this liability insurance as a minimum:

  • $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP)
  • $10,000 in property damage liability (PDL) -but we recommend higher coverage
  • Additionally, you will want to include Bodily Injury Liability -- insurance in case your truck is involved in an accident and you or your driver is at fault and injures another person.

Be aware that’s the minimum insurance you are required by the state to carry. But you can certainly increase your liability coverage if you like.

We also recommend adding collision and comprehensive insurance, which covers your food truck after damages that you or a worker is responsible for, plus damage from disasters like fire, storms, theft, and vandalism.

Liability Protection in case of Accidents and Lawsuits

All businesses need commercial general liability protection, including food trucks. This coverage protects you in case of an accident or injury outside of a motor vehicle crash, like someone getting sick from your food or burned by a hot item. So food trucks need to consider getting both auto liability and general liability insurance to cover their business. 

Commercial general liability insurance can cover lawsuits, including legal defense expenses. It’s vital when you consider that a liability case could otherwise put you out of business.

You can easily increase your liability protection by adding commercial umbrella coverage. This kind of policy would be used if you reach the cap on your regular liability insurance.

 Important Insurance Coverages You May Wish to consider for your Food Truck

There are many types of insurance available to your food truck business, which can be similar to the coverage most restaurants carry:

  • Coverage for the truck/trailer including permanently attached equipment (comp/collision)
  • Business Personal Property/Tools & Equipment - for cooking equipment and tools not permanently attached to the truck or trailer
  • Food Spoilage 
  • Business Income for lost business income due to a claim 
  • Employee Theft 
  • General Liability  
  • Auto Liability coverage
  • Liquor Liability - if you serve alcohol
  • Employment Practices Liability – EPLI
  • Workers Compensation
  • Cyber and Cyber Threat Insurance

Why do I need commercial auto insurance for my food truck?  Commercial auto insurance protects your business if you are in an accident in your business vehicle/food truck

Why do I also need General Liability in addition to auto liability insurance? -- auto liability coverage pays when your food truck is involved in an auto accident. However, other things can go wrong too that general liability can help with.  General liability covers things your business could be liable for like patrons becoming sick from food illnesses or slipping or tripping around your truck. 

Why do I need to add physical damage to my auto insurance? Physical damage (comprehensive and collision) is an optional but recommended coverage that will assist in repairing or replacing your vehicle/trailer should it be damaged.  This coverage is required if there is a loan or lease on your food truck/vehicle. An example is you rear end someone, physical damage will cover your vehicle repairs minus your deductible. Anything that is permanently attached to the truck or trailer would need to be covered with comprehensive or Collison on the auto policy.  For items that are not permanently attached, like cookware, and food inventory, this would be covered with business personal property coverage and would be covered under a different policy than your auto insurance. 

Our Independent Agents Can Tailor Food Truck Insurance to Your Needs

At Augustyniak Insurance, we understand your business is one of a kind. The beauty of being an independent agency is we have many more commercial insurance products to offer you than big companies. Of course, we work with all the major carriers, but we also offer policies from other insurers you may not be familiar with.  we are big enough to offer you options but small enough that you can have that small business feel. 

Another advantage of partnering with independent insurance agents is you get old-fashioned personalized service that’s rare these days. To speak with one of our local agents about coverage for your food truck, call us today at 904-268-3106. You can also start a policy online anytime at your convenience.

Our Independent Agents Can Tailor Food Truck or Restaurant Insurance to Your Needs